Dates - Walnut Cake

Wishing all my readers a very Happy Ugadhi :)


Today we start the week 2 in Blogging Marathon #14 and I will be doing a selection of 3 different themes. Today's post is a vegan cake that also falls under the baking with fruits / nuts..


My interest in baking has really increased and now I experimenting by baking various cakes and cookies. I have still not ventured into the 'yeasted' category and will take that step forward only when I feel satisfied with my regular bakes.

Last weekend I baked thiscake with fruits and nuts. The ever present pack of dates and nuts were used here. The cake smelt divine while being baked. Well,all cakes so smell divine freshly baked but we all agreed that this was the best aroma of all!!


I used :

All purposr flour - 1 cup
Seedless dates - 20 numbers
Milk- 3/4 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup 
Oil- 4 tablespoons
Baking soda- 1 teaspoon
Chopped walnuts- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon for topping

1.Preheat the oven to 180 degrees

2.Sift the flour and baking soda and keep aside




3.Grind the dates and sugar to a smooth paste adding a little milk[from the 3/4 cup]. If the dates are a little hard, soak in hot water for sometime, drain and use the dates or microwave the dates with a little water for a minute and use.




4.Add oil and mix




5.Add the dates mixture to the flour and mix well.




6.Add the nuts and mix.




7. Pour into the prepared tin and top with chopped nuts




8. Bake at 180 degrees for 35 minutes [ The oven timing may vary. Bake till a tooth prick comes out clean.]




9. Cool on a wire rack




10.Slice ....






.....And enjoy with a cup of coffee...






Hop over to the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#14



Labels: ,